May 22 08:22:36 PM
Steam for Linux Beta Now Available
Posted by Ghull · 6mo ago · general · comments? · 3741 reads
The Steam for Linux Beta client supports the free-to-play game Team Fortress 2. Approximately two dozen additional Steam titles are now also available for play on Linux systems. Additionally, the Steam for Linux Beta client includes Big Picture, the mode of Steam designed for use with a TV and controller, also currently in beta.
“This is a huge milestone in the development of PC gaming,” according to Gabe Newell, Valve President and co-founder. “Steam users have been asking us to support gaming on Linux. We’re happy to bring rich forms of entertainment and our community of users to this open, customer-friendly platform.”
The Steam for Linux Beta client is currently available for installation on Ubuntu 12.04. “An overwhelming majority of beta applicants have reported they’re running the Ubuntu distro of Linux,” according to Frank Crockett, a member of the Steam for Linux team, “We intend to support additional popular distros in the future; we’ll prioritize development for these based on user feedback.”
More details regarding Steam for Linux, including community discussion, beta participants’ feedback, official announcements and syndicated news can all be tracked on the new Steam for Linux Community Hub at http://steamcommunity.com/linux
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive . . . in about 1 week, but . . .
Posted by KoshVorlon · 9mo ago · cstrike: source · 3 comments · 6433 reads
Pre-Purchase and get access to the beta starting on August 14th!
Pre-Purchase and save 10% . . . $13.49 USD.
Full version is available on August 21st, 2012.
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO) will expand upon the team-based action gameplay that it pioneered when it was launched 12 years ago.
CS: GO features new maps, characters, and weapons and delivers updated versions of the classic CS content (de_dust, etc.). In addition, CS: GO will introduce new gameplay modes, matchmaking, leader boards, and more.
"Counter-Strike took the gaming industry by surprise when the unlikely MOD became the most played online PC action game in the world almost immediately after its release in August 1999," said Doug Lombardi at Valve. "For the past 12 years, it has continued to be one of the most-played games in the world, headline competitive gaming tournaments and selling over 25 million units worldwide across the franchise. CS: GO promises to expand on CS' award-winning gameplay and deliver it to gamers on the PC as well as the next gen consoles and the Mac."
Posted by Ghull · 11mo ago · steam updates · comments? · 5423 reads
A Steam client update is now available:
- - Added warning message for users on XP SP1 or lower, support will be dropped August 31th 2012.
- - Grid view now supports applying custom images to games and shortcuts, via the grid item’s context menu
- - Fixed a bug where if you were disconnected from Steam, then reconnected, any tabbed chats would paint wrong until you changed tabs
- - Fixed clearing login information in case “Don’t save account credentials on this computer” is checked
- - Fixed HTTP proxy related download issue
- - Fixed client crash related to game stats system
- - Fixed button to remove completed downloads
- - Fixed html control not drawing if Steam wasn't the foreground application
- - Fixed html control being blank for a while on steam startup for some users
- - Fixed Steam Cloud download errors in some situations
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Beta Update Released
Posted by Ghull · 1yr ago · gaming · comments? · 8850 reads
Game Design Issues:
- - Changed QUICKMATCH default to competitive de_dust2.
- - Added new maps to local match options: de_inferno, de_train, and de_nuke.
- - Added new weapons: Nova shotgun, Bizon and MP7 SMGs.
- - Created a CT-specific version of the Molotov: the incendiary grenade.
- - Reworked starting cash and bonuses in Casual mode.
- - Made kill cash awards weapon-specific: AWP pays out $50/kill ($25 in Casual Mode). CQB weapons pay out $900 ($450). The rest pay out the usual $300 ($150).
- - Limited total number of grenades that can be carried at one time to three, each of a different type.
- - Adjusted stamina penalties for jumping. It should be easier now to jump up to multiple objects in a row without getting exhausted.
- - Changed weapon recoil cycle to be controlled by a recoil index which is incremented on each shot.
- - Reduced movement penalty greatly when players are hit by friendly fire in casual mode.
- - Implemented skill-based matchmaking system.
- - Reduced dust particle effects on de_dust and de_dust2. Initial dust fades out after about 20 seconds.
- - Updated the nav mesh on de_Dust to improve bot pathing.
- - Corrected the problem with the bomb being plantable below the ledge on bombsite B in de_dust.
- - Fixed multiple issues with players being able to get to positions that should be inaccessable or non-visible in de_dust and de_dust2.
- - Fixed problem with black lines appearing around helicopter in de_dust when helicopter is shot.
- - Fixed several aesthetic issues and reported exploits on de_dust2.
- - Fixed a problem with the fun facts that could cause a claim of more than 100% accuracy for players.
- - Fixed a bug that allowed players to earn the 'Lost and F0wned' medal while controlling a bot.
- - Added FCVAR_CHEAT flag to the bot_kill command so it can't be used to earn medals
- - Updated some medal icons and descriptions to reflect criteria for getting them better.
- - Made players who controlled bots during a round ineligible for fun facts.
- - Fixed classic crosshair not showing up in first-person spectator mode.
- - Fixed a bug that could cause chat spam when a player changes his/her name.
- - Redesigned and repositioned the win panel to allow greater visibility of the game.
- - Hid voice status and weapon panel when HUD is hidden.
- - Added option in game settings that, when active, closes the buy menu upon purchase of an item.
- - Redesigned the buy menu.
- - Moved player team ID from crosshair to player.
- - Expanded the chat window, making it easier to keep track of chat history.
- - Changed the UI font for greater legibility.
- - Made the chat lines behave like a Windows edit control.
- - Added a scoreboard icon that indicates when a player is in the process of switching teams.
- - Made music respond to volume slider.
- - Made chat box disappear after ENTER is pressed.
- - Fixed the 'pop' visible when the main menu appears when playing in 4:3 or 16:10 aspect ratios.
- - Added COUCH and DESKTOP play distance options that control hud_scaling and viewmodel_fov convars.
- - Fixed problem with not being able to switch from windowed to full screen mode.
- - Removed crosshair spreading behavior when wielding the knife, grenades, or bomb.
- - Made scoreboard title display correctly above scoreboard in standard def.
- - Redesigned front-end screens, layouts, and scoreboard to reflect new look for CS:GO.
- - Improved the messaging for when money is awarded or subtracted. HUD now shows additions and subtractions more clearly, and money events are also reported in chat.
- - Fixed menus to render correctly in resolutions greater than 1920x1200.
- - Fixed a bug in which the scoreboard could occasionally disappear.
- - Added player avatars to the choose team screen.
- - Fixed problem with UI tint resetting after the choose team screen was opened via the pause menu during a game.
- - Fixed EDIT and CLEAR buttons on the settings screen sometimes not appearing correctly.
- - Fixed bug in settings with the acceleration amount slider not resetting correctly when defaults are restored.
- - Fixed incorrect audio feedback when mousing over empty rows in the settings screens.
- - Fixed bug that could occur when binding keys in the settings screens, making it impossible to navigate away from the currently active field.
- - Made the EDIT MIC option in the settings snap to the correct area of the controls screen.
- - Fixed a case in which throwing a grenade or dropping a weapon and picking up another failed to display the new weapon on the inventory section of the HUD.
- - Disabled left and right toggles on spectator UI when there's no one left to spectate.
- - Added a separate icon for the CT-specific knife in the weapon select and death notification text.
- - Fixed a bug in which remote players controlling a bot were showing up alive again on the mini-scoreboard instead of showing the bot as alive.
- - Restricted team chat to team members only.
- - Fixed some problems with the REBUY command that could result in purchasing items other than what you had purchased in the previous round.
- - Fixed problem with two different pieces of music playing at the same time over the choose team screen after completion of a match.
- - Added three new mixgroups to handle different weapon sound types.
- - Restricted the round end warning music cue to playing only when a bomb has not yet been planted. If it's currently playing, it will stop once the bomb has been planted.
- - Added new music cues for domination and revenge.
- - Fixed series of bugs in which the wrong weapon was seen during a reload or weapon switch, resulting in odd-looking weapon poses.
- - Fixed problem with camera stopping inside of players' heads during freeze cam.
- - Fixed a bug that could cause the spectator camera to be placed halfway through the floor occasionally.
- - Fixed excessive console spew.
- - Fixed a crash that could happen when selecting a team without Steam running.
- - Fixed hang on black screen when players attempt to connect to servers that forbid connection.
- - Fixed crash that could happen while changing the video settings.
- - Fixed blurry shadows on players who are walking or running.
- - Fixed blood so it doesn't show brightly through the fog.
- - Fixed the visors showing through smoke.
- - Reduced issues with smoke grenade and fire volumes being visible through thin floors.
- - Fixed some of the problems with weapons penetrating character geometry in third person.
- - Addressed an issue which caused bots to shoot over players' heads often. The bots will likely feel more difficult now.
- - Fixed aliasing artifacts caused by not using centroid sampling when MSAA is enabled. Some players may need to update their video card drivers in order to see the change.
- - Fixed a bug that caused a player to show as alive briefly after being killed while controlling a bot.
The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted.
Steam client update released
Posted by Ghull · 1yr ago · steam updates · comments? · 5219 reads
- - Fixed roaming game categories and favorite settings being reset
- - Added option to set server browser ping rate independently from download rate
- - Fixed missing menu item for updating AMD video drivers
- - Fixed launching of 64-bit games with "-" in the command line
- - Improved in-game overlay compatibility for some 64-bit game executables
- - Added ability to handle proxies that require "basic" auth when downloading games using the new content system
- - Improved support of concurrent user sessions from multiple platforms
- - Fixed cloud enabled games sometimes not launching until the client is restarted. Also fixed the Steam client showing a “Waiting for cloud sync” dialog at exit forever when in this state.
- - Updates to workshop APIs for upcoming Steamworks games